Shopping

Diwali Safety Tips

Pic courtesy: stories.imb.org image for representation purpose only.

The Diwali Festival is due to take place on Wednesday 11 November 2015.

It is to be noted that there is an increased fire risk during Diwali, primarily because of the increased use of oil lamps, candles and electric lights which play a major part in the festivities. Celebratory fireworks and festive cooking also create an increased fire risk around this time of year.

All too often safety comes second to celebration, therefore the Mauritius Fire and Rescue Service would especially urge the celebrating community to take these few simple precautions to reduce the risks to people.

SAFETY TIPS:  

Diya (oil lamp) and candles

  1. Treat the Diya as you would treat any other flame:
  2. Use only enough oil/ghee for a Diya to last your Puja.
  3. Make sure the Diya or candle rests securely on a surface which will not melt or burn.
  4. Keep candles a safe distance from curtains, furniture and decorations.
  5. Clothing (especially saris and dupattas) can be very flammable. Keep your clothing away from flames and also be careful if you have long hair.
  6. Children should be supervised at all times near candles/lamps- and keep flames out of their reach and out of the reach of any pets you have.

Fireworks

  1. Always follow fireworks instructions
  2. Never aim fireworks at people, animals or buildings
  3. Never ignite fireworks indoors i.e inside building
  4. Light fireworks on a smooth, flat surface away from buildings, dry plants or flammable items.
  5. Have a hose or water bucket or sun bucket ready at hand
  6. Children shall always be under the close supervision of their parents or an adult.
  7. Never relight dud fireworks
  8. Use long stick to light fireworks
  9. Pets shall be kept away

 

Electrical safety

  1. Have all electrical work done by a qualified electrician
  2. Check electrical cords to make sure they are not running across doorways or under carpets.
  3. Extension cords are intended for temporary use only.
  4. Do not overload electrical sockets and watch out for faulty and over-heating electrical equipment and wiring/cables.

 

Also Read : KITCHEN FIRE SAFETY
source: Mauritius Fire and Rescue Service

CommentsAdd a comment

shopping

FacebookTwitterYoutube